Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tysabri: Take Two

Tuesday, February 19th.  It's my second treatment with Tysabri!  I could tell that it was time, because my joints were very achy and my hands were losing the ability to hold things and I couldn't open the basic bottles and bags.

Before you are allowed to recieve the medication, you need to answer the following questions:
1) What's your name?
2) What is your birthday?
3) Have you had an organ transplant?
4) Have you recieved chemotherapy?
5) Do you have any infections?

After you have answered all of these questions, the nurse is free to check your blood pressure and temperature.

Check out my low blood pressure! (Thanks for the low BP mom :) )


After that, the nurse injects the medicine (Tysabri... all $6,909 300 mg of it) into the saline solution bag.



Notice that there are actually two bags in the picture below.  One of the bags has the medicine, the other is full of only saline solutions.  Apparently this is necesary, but I'm convinced this is BioGen's way of keeping me in the hospital for one hour after my actual transfusion to ensure that I'm not having adverse side effects from Tysabri.  (I, for one, don't want to pass out or have an allergic reaction while driving home). 


Then I get poked!  My transfusion nurse, Janice, is aMAAAAzing at inserting the IV with no pain.  But she tends to give me all the credit.. saying that because I eat breakfast and stay hydrated keeps my veins nice and plump!  We usually go on my left arm, apparently I have a big bloody vein just ripe for the sticking!


Told ya, I was a bleeder: (Beware, picture including blood)


Here come the saviors of the transfusion:  SKITTLES!! (The saline solution tends to leave a metallic taste in the patient's mouth.  To me, the metallic taste mostly affects the taste of water, so I eat Skittles to get rid of that taste).



No more blood! And I'm happy as a clam fat kid with cake!



Obviously, I use various apple products to keep myself entertained for the 2 hours the transfusion takes!
*Update: I think I'm actually attempting to get the app "Bump" to work between my phone and my mom's mini so she would stop sending me emails every three minutes*



At some point during the transfusion I need to have a LFT (Liver Function Test) to make sure that I'm not experiencing liver damage from my meds. (It is because of this reason that I have given up drinking, I do not need  alcohol to have fun with my friends, so I'm going to give my liver a break and stop drinking)

My right arm is the site of the blood drawn for the LFT (didn't get a picture of that happening, because mom was too slow and you can't really take a picture of oneself when you are strapped with medicine in one arm and you are getting stuck in the other arm)


Time left: 0.01!! And then it's time to go home and fall asleep (for hours)!!


If you have any questions about Tysabri, my experience, or just want any additional information: leave a comment :)



  

3 comments: