Saturday, March 30, 2013

Tysabri: Take Three

  It's that time again!  March 19th marks the day of my third Tysabri treatment.  I've noticed a couple of differences between this time and my previous treatments.

1) The period leading up to my Tysabri.  In past treatments I was having major, sharp joint pains and muscle aches in the three days leading up to Tysabri.  However, this time I only had an ache in my right ankle.  I did not have any major muscle aches in my hands or feet! (Third time = Pro)

2) The placement of my IV.  In every past experience I've had in the infusion center my IV has been located on my left forearm.  This includes my three days of steroids and two Tysabri treatments.  Unfortunately, my nurse was unable to locate the "big, juicy vein" that the other nurses used.  She stuck me on the inner arm bend of my right arm.  This was not a pleasant experience.  Any movement that I made was worse than in the past.  I have a theory that this is because I'm right handed and when I need to do something, I instinctively reach out with my right arm.  Also, the twisting motion of my right arm seemed to be more painful that when the IV was in my left forearm. (Third time = Con)

  (Can you say... OWWW!)

3) The LFT (Liver Function Test).  In times past, the lab has always been very busy, so I have to work around its schedule. This means that I will go down to the lab after my infusion is over and have blood drawn or the lab tech will come up in the middle of my transfusion and take my blood then.  This is the first time that the blood was drawn from my IV site before the medicine was hooked up.  And I'm pretty sure that this is the way the infusion nurses and lab techs prefer to take my blood.  I also prefer this method: I only get pricked once!! (Third time = Pro)

4) During the transfusion I experienced two new things: 1) I had to powder my nose (that was an adventure, especially the belt) and 2) I fell asleep. While editing posts. While watching Twilight. 

 (Check out that angelic appearance, yes, I'm an angel)
5) Post-transfusion reactions.  Normally, I am full of energy (for about three hours) and then proceed to be on ups and downs.  AKA:  I'm the Energizer Bunny for three hours and then I'm Sleeping Beauty after she has eaten three Thanksgiving dinners worth of turkey and is experiencing a tryptophan overload.  This time I noticed that I still have the ups and downs, but I'm also experiencing excess joint pains that were not there before.  I also have weakness in my hands.  (These are the symptoms that usually occur leading up to the treatment, not following the treatment). (Third time = Con)

Anyway, when it comes down to it, this was not my favorite transfusion.  But! It's over, that's that.

3 comments:

  1. Your so strong and positive! MS has no idea who it's dealing with.
    Hoping the pros outweigh the cons from this point forward ~


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support, Dawn! I truly appreciate it : )

      Delete
  2. I agree, you are an angel! Great job girl! :)

    ReplyDelete