Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Don't Skimp on the Shrimp Scampi

One night I was really hungry.  It was Friday. It was lent. I had meat, meat and oh, shrimp!  Three guesses what I chose to eat... Throw in a random frozen vegetable pack, butter, pesto and noodles, you've got a dinner!  Here's my version of Shrimp Scampi.

Gather your ingredients:
- 1 lb of medium/large pre-cooked shrimp
- one bag of frozen vegetables (or, if you're ambitious, fresh vegetables)
- one package of (gluten free) noodles
- small amount of butter
- small amount of pesto
- pepper/Ms. Dash to taste

Step 1: Thaw and de-tail your shrimp. (Also, make sure that your shrimp is actually deveined, half of the shrimp pictured below were not)



Step 2: Boil some noodles!  I use a full package of gluten free spaghetti, but you can use whatever you have laying around.



Step 3: Melt some butter in your pan for the shrimp.



Check out those cutie shrimp just waiting for their butter bath... aw!



Step 4: Let the butter bath ensue.  Heat under medium heat.



Add whatever seasoning you would like at this point.  I'm currently trying to stay lower sodium, so Ms. Dash and pepper is what I use!



Step 5: Add the pesto, about 2 TBSP.



You can definitely use your own pesto, but my stomach was yelling and I was short on time, so Classico to the rescue!



Step 6: Cook the vegetables according to the package.  I don't typically like to boil or microwave my vegetables, but once again, I was hungry!
























While the vegetables are cooking, the shrimp have probably begun to curl up.  When this happens, take your shrimp out of the pan.  If you fail to do this, you are probably going to over cook your shrimp and make them chewy.  Gross.



Add the vegetables into the butter sauce and allow the excess water to evaporate out.  The butter sauce is going to reduce and become super thick and delicious.  Plus, the thicker the butter sauce, the better it coats the noodles.



Here's everything, you just need to mix it together!



And here's the finished product:


Yum!  This is also good with other types of fish, I put some leftover salmon on top of mine and oh boy... it's angelic.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment